Thursday, February 02, 2012

Homemade Pet Food: Why More Pet Owners are Jumping Onboard

People across the nation, from Inks Lake in Central Texas to the East Coast, are actively seeking out healthier lifestyles for their pets by altering their eating habits. Although much of society does not consider this to be of great importance, there are die-hard pet lovers that insist on their four-legged friends eating only the best. Remarkably, these folks are not going out and spending a fortune on costly, organic foods from the veterinarian or specialty stores; rather, they are making pet food from their leftover meals.

These concerned pet owners readily provide valid points that back up their decision to take such action, and scanning the back of a pet food label may make one's stomach turn sour. Surely, animal byproducts and bone meal are excellent in a compost pile, but it seems reasonable to assume that these are not very healthy for a pet to consume. Coming to this realization is possibly the biggest proponent of avid pet owners that take the time to care for their pet's nutritional needs by preparing homemade pet food.

Making certain that a pet's body receives adequate protein nutrients is a primary concern of many dog owners. These typically active pets need ample amounts of not just protein, but these should be highly digestible proteins. Many prepackaged foods feature a label with high percentages of this nutrient, but they are generally proteins that are only 60 percent digestible. It makes one wonder what happens to the other 40 percent. Certainly, unhealthy foods can wreak havoc on an animal's internal system, as well as their bathroom habits.

Ultimately, prepackaged pet foods may not be the best solution in sustaining the needs of active pets. Most people are privy to the differences in good fats and bad fats, and active bodies require certain amounts of both. Pet food bought in a store features fats that can be preserved, as opposed to healthy fats that easily convert into energy. It is important to remember that pets use fat to keep their kidneys functioning properly, and an excessive amount of fat within this sensitive area could prove to be fatal. Making pet foods at home allows pet owners to control fat intake, thus resulting in a happier and healthier animal.

Numerous clever pet food recipes are available on the Internet, and there are options that will permit even vegetarians to turn leftover foods into tasty, nutritional meals for their pets. Commonly, meats and vegetables are the primary ingredients in these culinary creations, but a number of other types of foods can be added to the meal mixture to meet pet's vitamin-specific needs. Pets with allergies or health problems require explicit considerations, and homemade pet food can be a great solution to help them feel better overall.

However, before getting started making pet food, is good to have a working knowledge concerning the nutritional aspects of foods and they affect animals. Pet owners should consult with their veterinarian prior to making any drastic changes. These professionals will be able to offer advice, make recommendations, and provide owners with resources that can give them the knowledge they need to succeed in creating appropriately balanced meals for their pet.

Citations:


Lynn Mastic loves travel and pets.  She made her home on the shores of Inks Lake, one of the Highland Lakes, for several years and was pleased to see more pet friendly lodging options cropping up, and she likes to write about this area of Texas and pet-friendly topics.

Technorati Tags:

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP